Sunday, January 18, 2015

Seminary and Ministry

Today I discussed with a theology graduate the well known problem of theological education vs. ministry practice. My own first great shock was when I was called upon to visit an attractive, young(ish) mother dying of cancer. The cancer had metastasised. I didn't know what to do, or what to say. I was so deeply shocked that I didn't (wouldn't) go back -- but I conducted her funeral service. I remember what she said to me on that one visit. She requested the hymn: "When morning gilds the skies." Twelve times, the hymn repeats: "May Jesus Christ be praised!" OBSERVATION: From my experience, the best kind of practical training is observation, or apprenticeship. (In later ministry, I was able to deal with such situations comfortably).

No comments: