Saturday, January 17, 2015

Sunday Distractions

I once wrote the following about the hour before I stepped into the pulpit one Sunday. This is what may lie behind the apparently calm exterior of one's minister: "I was badgered at the gate for alms, so that I was prevented from entering the Church grounds. Then I saw that the entire video system had been disconnected. Next I discovered that the amplifier had been tampered with, and a vital microphone was missing. Then key handouts for the service were nowhere to be found. Then the City Council arrived with heavy digging equipment and started tearing up the road. Then the police descended on the street to intervene. All wanted my attention. Then someone pressed me for counselling, which they absolutely had to have immediately. Then a second person insisted on the same. Then a musical item for the service dropped out, and I quickly arranged a substitute. Apart from a few major distractions besides. And I stepped into the pulpit (I hope) with serenity and poise."

No comments: