Sunday, July 26, 2015

Pressure To Give

A minister may come under intense personal pressure to help people financially -- seen apart from his or her Church’s charitable funds. Here is the solution that I found, after struggling with this for years. I set my personal charitable giving at 10% of my nett income per month, dividing this into daily amounts in order to keep track, and sometimes giving accumulated amounts. This seemed to work for me. And always, I have sought to give more than money: encouragement, counsel, help, and so on. OBSERVATION: Such pressure may be felt especially in missions, where missionaries from affluent backgrounds are sent into the midst of poor populations. I have often informed people (those asking for help) of my personal policy, sometimes with the promise of help another day.

No comments: