Monday, August 3, 2015

Ministry Code-Switching

There is a thing called code-switching -- which means changing the variety of language one uses. Among churchgoers, I have come across many who switch from received English to African urban English, like flicking a switch (the African urban English, apart from being different, has a combative sound to it). Also, I have come across many Afrikaans-speaking churchgoers who switch from high Afrikaans to colloquial Afrikaans, also like flicking a switch -- the colloquial Afrikaans being hard to understand for many who are trained only in high Afrikaans. Then the point of this post: I myself switch from received English to a kind of basic English or trade English, for the purposes of ministry. In fact, I would think that this is fairly much essential to successful ministry, especially in urban ministry, especially in a multicultural setting. Know how to speak what the people speak. OBSERVATION: When people read my academic papers, therefore, or even this blog, this is far from how I speak in other contexts. Incidentally, some ministers do continual code-switching from the pulpit. That is another way.

No comments: