Sunday, June 26, 2016

Cultural Rumours

My life has been much affected by rumours in recent years. Among other things, as it became known that there was a connection between me and (now) wife E., a raft of rumours went out -- false rumours -- surrounding cultural issues. I know that several rumours were believed, as if they were true. One of them returned to me (again) this morning: My Church had dismissed me because I stole Church monies to pay for lobola (the bride price). There is a simple answer to that: I have never had signing power over Church monies. OBSERVATION: Originally this rumour returned to me through a member of another Church -- I don't know who the real source was. Yet how are so many rumours rooted in cultural issues? And who would have the chutzpah to put such rumours into circulation?

No comments: