Sunday, August 21, 2016

Jacob's Limp

I wrote to someone last night: "I think I told you that I suffered post-traumatic stress early in ministry, which is serious, but it was a blessing in the long run for the help I could give to others, and the health it gave me back. My father's health was permanently broken by ministry." OBSERVATION: People have sought to use that post-traumatic stress as an accusation over the years, but it is what one calls "Jacob's limp" in ministry (Genesis 32:31). The proper way to see this and other limps is as blessings from God, and (where needed) as opportunities to strengthen and encourage, not accuse. Some famous ministers (not that I am famous) had such limps, among them John Bunyan, Isaac Watts, Charles Spurgeon, Andrew Murray, and a good many more.

No comments: