Monday, May 15, 2017

Salvation Counselling

This one's not for more sensitive readers. A young woman came to see me. She said: "I broke up with my boyfriend. I tried to kill myself. I took an overdose. I swallowed a whole heap of tablets. But I vomited it all up. I'm pleased I didn't succeed, for the sake of my daughter. I've still slept with him, but we didn't get back together." OBSERVATION: This seems fairly typical of the turmoil one encounters in counselling. The question is, where to begin. For me, there has always been an obvious place to begin, and the nature of the situation always makes it easy to do: salvation counselling. The moral perspectives are another matter. And one always tries to ameliorate the situation (although not all ministers would agree with that).

No comments: