Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Curing Conflict

Politicians may often adopt the approach of dealing with rogue politicians through the scheduled electoral process. In the Church, however, it needs to be quick. The Bible says: "A little leaven leavens all the lump," and that "little leaven" needs to be addressed before "the lump" is ruined. My ministr(ies) were marked by very little open conflict, which really means conflict in the Church Meeting -- the executive meeting in a Congregational Church. A professor of peace studies asked me the secret. I said it was immediate interventions, in many cases without minutes of delay. This was it, he said. It was a key strategy. OBSERVATION: Basically, there was one period of open conflict under my ministri(ies), in 1998, when a Church voted to become independent. If anyone remembers anything I forgot, do drop a comment here -- I wouldn't want to say there was less conflict than there was at Church Meeting level.

No comments: