Thursday, August 17, 2017

Missing Pension

The last thing that the Rev. Horwood said to me – he died this week – was: “Have you given up on your pension, Tom?” I said: “No.” He said with panache: “Good!” Then he got up and said: “This breakfast is on me.” He was referring to my city Church, which failed to pay me the larger part of my pension of nearly 20 years – a very large sum. I asked the Church’s tax adviser what had happened to my pension. He wrote back: “The Scriptures teach us that in adversity, we are still conquerors, and Jesus is with the oppressed.” Again and again, the Church sent me lawyer’s letters, demanding that I forfeit (quote) “all and any claims of whatsoever nature and howsoever arising from the contract of employment that existed”. A consultant reported that he found no such contract. Well, yes, said city attorneys, it looked as though I was right about the missing pension. Then they quoted me R300 000 to claim it in the High Court.

No comments: