Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Hymns

Throughout my ministr(ies), we have introduced new hymns. This was a slow and thoughtful process, as none of my Churches wanted hymns to be projected. Typically we tried out new hymns by printing them first in the Sunday bulletin, singing them first in pre-service singing (and weekday groups), then singing them in the service itself, and finally incorporating them in a supplement to our hymn book. A few such hymns spontaneously caught on -- of which one was The Advocate by Charitie Lees Bancroft (1841-1923). Although the hymn is well over 100 years old, it seems surprisingly contemporary. The first verse:
Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me
My name is graven on His hands
My name is written on His heart
I know that while in heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart
No tongue can bid me thence depart

No comments: