Sunday, February 4, 2018

Planning And Strategy (Not)

Church leadership theory places a great emphasis on planning and strategy. This post is about how this relates to Church groups -- or not. I think it would be true to say that most groups under my ministr(ies) -- and there were many -- were not born of planning or strategy. I remember one founding member of a group saying to me one day: “Actually, come to think of it, I can't remember how this group started. Nobody decided to start it.” Yet once it was started, it went like a bomb. OBSERVATION: In other words, one doesn't need to worry where groups will come from in the Church. One could say that they are spontaneous -- but the spiritual view would be that the Lord starts them. Conversely, many groups have been started by human decision in the Church, and have failed.

No comments: