Friday, September 13, 2019

Crime: Two Solutions

Yesterday the BBC reported on the latest crime statistics in South Africa (more than half a million people have been murdered in South Africa since Freedom). I think that, apart from background factors, two ways that police could be helped are these:
• Depression. Reduce it. In 2016, the Deputy Minister of Police reported that 89% of police were depressed. I know personally that this is a big problem. There needs to be greater care for officers' emotional well-being and strength. Depression may reduce one's capacity to 20%.

• Pragmatism. Get it done. There is too much spinning of wheels. Take a recent criminal case I was involved in. The investigator was replaced multiple times, the evidence was removed from the docket three times, and three times there were useless summonses issued.
OBSERVATION: As for the reasons for the above, that is another matter. I myself could have been a murder victim last year. I was held for an hour-and-a-half by gunmen with semi-automatics who told me they were going to kill me.

No comments: