Saturday, August 8, 2020

Pacific Movies

I conducted a first experiment today, to see whether it is possible to convert my father's old Pacific movies, frame by frame. On the surface of it, yes, although it would be laborious. This is the result of my very first test. I was surprised to see it is colour 8 mm film. 8 mm film was superseded soon after colour appeared.

POSTSCRIPT: I found an easy way to string together JPEG images in an MPEG movie. One opens the Linux terminal in one's current folder and writes: mencoder "mf://*.JPG" -o movie.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg -fps 18.000 Note "JPG" (or whatever) as suffix, which is case sensitive. 18.000 is 18 fps which is a common frame rate of 8 mm film. Or try 16.000. One can then use a video editor to process the raw video.

No comments: