Thursday, September 24, 2020

Heritage Day

It is Heritage Day today, in South Africa. Wife E, like many South Africans, wonders what her heritage really is. I discovered, by interviewing the elders, that it is 80% Xhosa. I have a similar question. My surname is a pure Viking name -- my forebears were invaders of England from the east. On the other hand, my sister's DNA is 67% English, and no doubt mine is, too. OBSERVATION: Many people in South Africa struggle with the question of their heritage. In many cases, it is a mixed heritage, and in many cases, the chaos of the subcontinent has meant that many people have difficulty tracing their heritage. And attitudes vary greatly. Some are jealous or protective of their heritage -- what is known of it -- while others simply say it is diverse.

No comments: