Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Lightweight Linuxes

I had a foray into operating systems again, testing various lightweight systems. Here are my impressions:
PUPPY LINUX 7.0: Slick and beautiful. However, it needed to be customised to my system (an Acer Aspire 3), and this failed at the touchpad. 
FATDOG LINUX 8.11 (pictured): A "fat" version of Puppy Linux. This, too, was slick and beautiful. It needed no customisation. Then I tried to adjust the SAVEFILE, and that was the end of it.  
SPARKY LINUX 5.13 (Minimal): This worked very well, and fast. I would go for this one if I chose one from this list. However, few packages were installed. Curiously, the menu button threw everything at me at once, all over the screen.
ALT LINUX 9.1: A Russian version of Linux. This promised to complete its download in seven days ... It is said to have a good reputation. 
COREPLUS LINUX: Supposedly a fast, small Linux, but this did not boot.

OBSERVATION: FATDOG and SPARKY gave me easy access to the Internet, and immediate control over screen brightness, where many Linux distributions do not.

No comments: