Saturday, July 4, 2020

Gentle Complaints

If I need to lodge a complaint, I (almost) always do so very gently -- and ministers would, I think, be well advised to follow suit. Often I do not even lay a complaint. I simply show a matter to someone, and ask, "What do you think?" "What do you see?" If they know what they are doing, and if they are not corrupt or compromised, they will know what they see. OBSERVATION: There is the risk, if one is not experienced in these things, that someone will claim that the minister was aggressive, or demanding -- even "He forced me to act" and so on, when there was nothing of the sort. So I keep a record not only of a complaint, but of the way that a complaint was communicated. If a more serious allegation arises from that, I reveal what passed between us.

No comments: