Sunday, June 23, 2013

Parakeet

This is a seasonal visitor to my garden -- I took this photo this morning. Wife E. said: "Come look, see how rich you are!" This bird was in a small flock. I can't identify it, though it looks like some kind of parakeet. They would seem to perch in pairs -- male and female -- this one, I think, being a male. Our cat caught one once, and ripped out its long tail feathers. I wondered whether it would still fly -- but it did. You may click on the photo to enlarge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a Muis Voel. Fruit eating bird loves loquotes
Bub

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

Thank you, Bub. Now I've got it. A Mousebird in English -- the only bird which is entirely confined to Africa, and a unique species: "no known close affinities".

Anonymous said...

Mouse Bird.
We hand reared two chicks, it was the best pets you could ask for, always snugling up, enjoyed sand baths and loved fruit,...