Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Gargantuan Task

My wife and I have been tackling the task of moving on from my present ministry. So I set aside the last month to rearrange my life after nearly 20 years. It might seem hard to imagine why, but this was just doable, thanks to God -- with a few loose ends yet to tie up. Now we have set aside the next month for winding up the household (although we have not been idle). I did an assessment this morning. Our house contains more than 120 items of furniture, more than half of them heavy: that is, tables, bookshelves, sofas, and so on. This excludes about 25 built-in cabinets or cupboards, which also need to be unpacked. "Gargantuan" would seem to be the word for the task. OBSERVATION: It all began in the 60's, when crates were packed a world away in the mission -- then stored (and still stored) here. From then on until now the house accumulated goods, for more than 40 years.

No comments: