Thursday, August 1, 2013

Kwaai Bridge

Some stories from here must seem like lunacy elsewhere in the world. A new neighbour of mine in the country -- a bishop -- entered my property without my knowledge or consent, with a team of workmen, to build a large bridge over my river. Surveying some massive logs that he had laid, he told me that once he had completed his bridge, he would plough an access road through my trees. His team, at the same time, were puzzled. They said that this was no bridge to carry cars / automobiles. But a bishop is not easily to be influenced -- so I asked the police what to do. They said that this was not something that interested the police -- I should speak to the municipality. The municipality said, don't engage with the bishop, file a report -- we'll deal with it through an inspector. OBSERVATION: "Kwaai" in Afrikaans means something like: "That's severe." (A bestselling book was Bridge On The River Kwai).

No comments: