Monday, August 5, 2013

Sundial Surveyed

Last week I received a new sundial from Austria. The time is indicated here (see the photo) by the spot of sunlight on the inner ring (9:15 am). OBSERVATION: This dial is elegantly crafted -- easily fitting into the palm of one's hand. Also, it is far more versatile than its historical forbears -- being a universal dial. However, the instructions fail to explain solar time -- an important omission. Standard time could easily be incorporated into this design -- although it may come at some additional expense (Cape Town's 9:15 am solar time is 10:01:18 am South African Standard Time). And having designed a dial myself (which was journal published), I would think there would be a better idea for the gnomon (the thing which casts the spot of sunlight). I am going to study this sundial carefully. As far as I can see, it keeps fairly accurate time -- I'd say potentially to within 5 minutes.

No comments: