Saturday, October 12, 2013

Comparing Systems

I was surprised to realise that I have designed five solar systems in two months. The first (10 Watts) is doing great. I have no news of the second one (30 Watts), which I built for a clergyman. The third (200 Watts) failed to meet its promise, although it did not fail – I dismantled it. The fourth (200 Watts) is doing well in early testing. The fifth (80 Watts) – which I built for my parents-in-law – is doing well in early testing. OBSERVATION: 200 Watts means 200 Watts for one hour, or 1 Watt for 200 hours – when fully charged (my systems have different charge times). They all run very hot in full sun – yet my calculations tell me that they have a minimum 30% safety margin before meltdown. The cost of lighting up a small house (my design) is about R250 ($25) – plus the lights. But the lights are expensive. Acknowledgement to the wife for the photo (snapped on her Blackberry).

No comments: