Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Rheumatic Fever

For most of my life, I have needed to contend with rheumatic fever. Most people cannot catch it, but those who do may have it again and again. Untreated, it kills about half of those who catch it -- yet properly treated, it may be no more than an occasional nuisance. "Nuisance" has been my experience -- although I have been seriously ill, too. I need to watch the things which tend to trigger rheumatic fever: especially sore throats, dentist drills, and cuts and scratches. In such cases, I am supposed to take antibiotics no questions asked -- although sometimes I "wing it", based on my feel for the illness. OBSERVATION: Usually, my doctor treats risks or symptoms immediately with antibiotics, and I am better within days. Sometimes, one gets a doctor who wants to go back to square one, and begin the investigation all over again -- this wastes precious time, and only yields the same results at great expense. (I am being treated this week for rheumatic fever, having a dentist appointment scheduled).

No comments: