Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Local Church History

Here is some local Church history which I obtained through my aged mother. Some of it I remember personally, as I sometimes joined my father on his rounds as a boy. Rev. David Williams started the Camps Bay and Llandudno Churches as outstations of Sea Point Congregational Church, and ministered in all three Churches -- however his health was destroyed.  My father then, Rev. Charles Scarborough, took over these three ministries. Not long after, the Camps Bay Church decided to unite with the Presbyterians, and to use their Church building.  The ministry was then shared between my father and Rev. Douglas Bax. Later, under Rev. Dr. Peter Schoonraad's ministry, the Church united with the Methodists, and called themselves Camps Bay United Church -- becoming a separate work, and moving to the Methodist Farquar Road Church premises, where they still are today. Llandudno, too, decided to "fly the nest", and had a strong and capable lay leader in Cliff Johnson. OBSERVATION: The photo shows the lesser known Llandudno Church today -- possibly the only photo of this Church on the Internet. You may click on it to enlarge.

No comments: