Friday, January 17, 2014

Eradicating Windows

I replaced a seven-year old netbook computer today with a new laptop. The first thing I did was to eradicate Windows 8. This took me half an hour, with a few nail-biting moments -- and I had to register with Microsoft first. They must be puzzling over the loss of their machine out there (registration was a one-two step process, and before step two my Windows 8 was gone). Then it took me an hour-and-a-half to install Linux Ubuntu, and half an hour to install Linux Xubuntu on top of that -- which I have described as a Mac-like system. Now I am content. OBSERVATION: Most recently I used Linux Puppy on my old netbook. This genuinely brought an old computer back to life, which is what Puppy is for. Puppy impressed -- yet it was somewhat limited, somewhat arcane.

No comments: