Friday, February 28, 2014

Alan Paton's Prayer

I had never viewed Alan Paton (an author) as a churchman. However, I very much liked this prayer that someone sent me today:
O Lord,
Open my eyes that I may see the needs of others;
Open my ears that I may hear their cries;
Open my heart so that they need not be without succour.
Let me not be afraid to defend the weak because of the anger of the strong,
nor afraid to defend the poor because of the anger of the rich.
Show me where love and hope and faith are needed,
And use me to bring them to those places.
And so open my eyes and my ears
that I may this coming day be able to do some work of peace for Thee.
Amen.
Alan Paton.

2 comments:

Macrina Walker said...

From what I remember he was a fairly devout Anglican and wrote a little book on the prayer of Francis of Assisi.

He grew up Unitarian and I remember reading in his autobiography of how he was out partying with friends one Saturday night. One of his friends realised that it was after midnight and so refused another drink because he was planning to receive holy communion the next morning. This made a big impact on Paton and, from what I remember, was one of the things that led him to the Anglican Church. (Of course, that was in the day when Anglicans - or some of them - still fasted before communion).

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

Thanks Macrina.

I have not seldom come across such small but pivotal experiences in the course of ministry.

Incidentally I heard of one priest who wasn't sure whether congregants had got up early for communion, or were coming straight from the party.