Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Self-Published

To some, "self-published" means that you paid to have your own work published. To some, it means that you took your own control of publishing. To me, it would mean that you made your own work public. This post was prompted by someone who asked me whether a book that I wrote was self-published. Intuitively, one might say yes -- but it was all of it already published, being re-published by me when I took advantage of liberal licenses. That is, it was all of it peer reviewed in this way or that. In fact I have little out there that I myself put out there for the first time. OBSERVATION: It seems to me that "self-published" is ill defined. The real danger of self-publishing is that it is not a team effort with the application of the necessary balance and expertise.

No comments: