Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Story Of E. And Me

For half a year now, I have been writing up the story of E. and me -- little by little. From time to time, people ask me how it is progressing. It has just passed the 20 000 word mark (a novella may be 20 000 words and up). The working title is An Arranged Love. OBSERVATION: I am taking the approach that, with language, less is more. People fill in the picture. And that makes a story more evocative. So the style is sparse. I have formal proposals with a number of publishers. However, publishing is an unpredictable business. Some of the book's USP's (unique selling points) are these: it probably is the first inside account of African wedding customs by a European -- in book form. Also, I had a Leica camera strapped on most times -- it is possible that many of the photos are firsts. And I think that it would reveal much about cultural dynamics in South Africa today. Private reviews have been enthusiastic. You may click on the photo to enlarge to 220k.

No comments: