Thursday, July 10, 2014

Clergymen And Noblemen

My sister today handed me this advertisement from the Illustrated London News for the week ending Saturday, July 6, 1844 (170 years ago). You may click on the image to enlarge. This was before a time where "mind complaints or nervousness" were subdued by medication. What is particularly interesting is that clergymen and noblemen top this list, even as far back as 1844. Heading the list of symptoms is "groundless fear", which today no doubt would be anxietyOBSERVATION: I ran these symptoms through a modern Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HDRS). The presence of just one-third of these symptoms would suggest clinical depression. However, the list mostly omits physical symptoms, which are included in today's HDRS. (I myself have taken the test many times. The results? Perhaps in a future post).

No comments: