Saturday, August 23, 2014

Uncle Arthur

My English family is very small. The Scarborough line has survived through only one son for several generations, although there have been a few more in-laws through marriage. Recently my sister amazingly tracked down photos of my great-uncle Arthur (pictured with his wife Grace). I met Uncle Arthur only once, but curiously, his influence on my life was disproportionately large. He gave me (indirectly) a diamond ring. With that ring, I visited four south-east Asian nations -- as it happened, at a time of huge political turmoil which left a deep impression on me.

2 comments:

Jane said...

And although Uncle Arthur want a Scarborough (just the brother of one) that photo was at least taken in Scarborough on a trip with Grace's sister and niece (my Mum)

Thomas O. Scarborough said...

Thank you Jane. All I remember about him is how kindly he was -- then when I saw a photo I said ah, that's Uncle Arthur. Quite unexpectedly, this post has been one of the most popular on my blog.