Thursday, September 18, 2014

'The Devil's Church'

Many times, I have heard people refer to their old Church as "the devil's Church" -- and a few times I have heard ministers speak that way. But here, the old theological concepts of Visible and Invisible Church come to mind (although these are contested afresh today). Personally, I would see the Visible Church much as I would see the Biblical Israel: even under the worst of circumstances, it was not the devil's possession, but very much in God's power. However, it may or may not have been under the judgement of God. Then, to cast it in the same terms, I would see the Invisible Church as the Biblical Remnant: always blessed and protected by God. OBSERVATION: Many famous hymns refer to the devil's aspirations or operations in the Church, for example the "foul fiend" of John Bunyan and the "alt’ böse Feind" of Martin Luther. But that is not to say that it is ever "the devil's Church".

No comments: