Friday, October 17, 2014

High Church Low Church

Recently, in one way or another, I have come across the high Church / low Church debate. This is essentially to what degree clergy should be set apart from laity -- not in dress or in manner, but in function. In a high Church, typically one person presides in a Sunday service -- maybe two. In a low Church -- I'll take the Congregational example -- several people give original spiritual input in each service -- or should. I myself have aimed for five in each Sunday service I have conducted, even if the original spiritual input should amount to a single sentence. OBSERVATION: Traditionally one says that this demands much more of the Body of Christ. Traditionally one has lamented services where one or two people preside. Apart from any Church tenets, people laid down their lives for the low Church way. It is important also, I think, to differentiate between taking part in the Sunday routine (welcoming people, singing in the choir, and so on) and original spiritual input. These are sometimes confused.

No comments: