Saturday, October 25, 2014

Leadership Backlash

"Leadership backlash" is an important ministry concept, which seems, however, to be little known -- better known, however, among long-serving ministers. It is the strange phenomenon of a minister receiving complete and unqualified support in moments of crisis (or a leadership reaching full consensus), only to be followed by severe negative reactions and even the disintegration of a leadership team. I have experienced this in various degrees in ministry. OBSERVATION: Before I studied it at postgraduate level, and the first time I heard of it, an experienced minister warned our leadership that this was about to happen. Two of our leadership were very angry about that -- but shortly after, they fell to leadership backlash. Today, I am able to recognise it and predict it, more or less. It is a slow yet powerful dynamic -- almost unavoidable I think, except perhaps through spiritual warfare. In my experience, it takes about one year for backlash to set in, although this may vary a great deal, and individuals do not succumb to it all at the same time. (One of my past professors describes leadership backlash in a much-cited paper at The Making of a Leader -- see page 6).

No comments: