Monday, February 2, 2015

Tightening Up Standards

In my Church in Port Elizabeth, the original 1964 constitution was amended four times. Amendments in 1991, under my ministry, were crucial, and these same amendments entered the Constitution in my next Church. What interests me here is that, following my departure from my Church in Port Elizabeth, it went a great deal further in tightening up membership standards. The 1991 amendments, under my ministry, required that members' conduct should be in keeping with Scripture and Constitution, or they would be removed from membership. After 1991, divisive and disrespectful behaviour were added as reasons for removal, meetings behind meetings were banned, removal became far more efficient, and reinstatement was subject to more stringent conditions.

No comments: