Saturday, March 28, 2015

Bridging Inferences

My essay on Bridging Inferences has temporarily gone "off air" while the journal Philosophical Investigations relocates on the Web. It was, however, a very popular essay. I had in mind to put a reduced, spoken version of the essay on YouTube, yet did not achieve the technical quality desired. For the sake of sharing the content, however, here is a foretaste of what is hopefully to come. OBSERVATION: An understanding of bridging inferences is crucial if one is to overcome the fact-value gap, and further to reintroduce ethics to metaphysics. My Society metaphysic shows further how bridging inferences may be integrated into a broad philosophy. I am not aware of another systematic approach to what I have to say here. However, I do know of a brilliant intuitive approach by Virginia Woolf, in the only known recording of her voice.

No comments: