Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Chocolate Cake

In 1982, Sea Point Congregational Church called me to plant a Church in Rondebosch -- called the Rondebosch Fellowship. Sea Point then sent members with me on loan, to boost the work. One of these members, an elderly woman with a unique story, baked me a chocolate cake. She invited me to her luxury home for a slice after the first service. I said it was a marvellous cake, and she gave me the rest of it. The next Sunday she invited me again -- for chocolate cake -- and again she gave me the rest of the cake. This continued even after the assignment in Rondebosch ended -- and continued for some fifteen years, every Sunday, unless I was out of town, which I mostly was. We (often it was "we") gently suggested that she might try vanilla cake, or perhaps cookies -- but she was not to be swayed. As she grew older, she could no longer bake the cake -- then she bought one every Sunday at Woolworths. The tradition finally ended when she entered an old age home. In loving memory of Mary Mahood.

No comments: