Thursday, April 30, 2015

Admixture Of Works

A Bible study last night discussed the assurance of salvation, as its focal topic. In my experience as a minister, and in conversation with Bible study leaders, the vast majority of those who call themselves Christian (say nine out of ten) do not have the assurance of salvation.  This need not mean that such Christians do not have salvation, but it should prompt them to take a closer look.  The Bible is clear that assurance is possible -- as well as suggesting that some may not have it even where they are true Christians.  A lecturer of mine once helpfully said that a lack of assurance always happens when there is some admixture of works or deeds: "Have I done enough?  Have I done well enough?  Have I done too little?  Have I done too badly?"  Yet grace does not permit any such admixture, when it is fully understood and received.  Sometimes all that is needed is some "back to basics" reminders.

No comments: