Friday, April 24, 2015

Looking Back, Forward

This is a re-post, now five years old: "At the end of 2008, on this blog, I looked to the year ahead (see The Year Ahead). A repeat post is overdue. Looking back, I did complete my Master’s degree (a strong finish after five long years), I did supervise a candidate for the ministry (a fruitful year), and I did forge ahead with writing papers (I put in determined work, making excellent progress). However, I did not enrol for a doctorate (although I was effectively accepted), and the Church did not go through recapitalisation (which is a relief, personally). I turn 50 this May. What might the year hold? The time has come for me to make an original academic contribution, which I have prepared for for a very long time (decades, rather than years). However, it may be a very different year in the Church. For nearly thirty years, Mirjam and I have ministered as “a great team” (see the photo). There is a big question mark over whether this will continue -- due to her cancer. There is a big question mark over what kind of reorganisation may be required in the Church, and where life may lead. OBSERVATION: I am conscious that I always think too small about God’s love and His intentions for us."

No comments: