Monday, May 4, 2015

Wesley's Worrisome Diary

My pastor yesterday quoted John Wesley's diary from the pulpit. Afterwards he sent me the source (Bible.org):
• May 5 Sunday am. Preached in St. Anne’s. Was asked not to come back any more. 
• May 5 Sunday pm. Preached in St. John’s. Deacons said “Get out and stay out.” 
• May 12 Sunday am. Preached in St. Jude’s. Can’t go back there either. 
• May 19 Sunday am. Preached in St. Somebody Else’s. Deacons called special meeting and said I couldn’t return. 
• May 19 Sunday pm. Preached on street. Kicked off street. 
• May 26 Sunday am. Preached in meadow. Chased out of meadow as bull was turned loose during service. 
• June 2 Sunday am. Preached out at the edge of town. Kicked off the highway. 
• June 2 Sunday pm. Afternoon, preached in a pasture. Ten thousand people came out to hear me. 
OBSERVATION: I'd be a little worried to serve on a Church Council after reading this. (I wonder if these aren't abridged entries to his diary).

No comments: