Friday, June 26, 2015

Not To Worry

In one of the raids on my personal papers (see elsewhere on this blog), raiders dropped a single financial statement as they left. It was probably the most interesting financial statement of them all: my first full financial year in urban ministry (we used to calculate from January till December then). Notice the monthly deficits in particular: up to 55.6% a month. This is way beyond what a typical Church treasurer would call disaster. Yet with two months of the year to go here, my handwritten notes read: "CAN MAKE A SURPLUS" -- which is an actual (not budget) surplus. OBSERVATION: We never had anything like it again -- and in years to come, I always said that God would provide, and that we were not to worry about bad months or exigencies. This piece of history explains why. At least, it explains what my experience had to do with it, and I hope that this will serve as an encouragement to those who experience the same now. A 20% deficit? A 50% deficit?  Trust God. You may click on the image to enlarge.

No comments: