Friday, September 18, 2015

Halting A Vendetta

A man called me, saying that a city minister, Rev. Y., had ruined his reputation. Therefore he was going to ruin his. He said the whole city was going to know what a lowlife he was, and I was no. 24 on his list. I said: “How long is your list?” He said: “Fifty. The media are at the top.” I said: “What would it take for me to be the last person on your list?” He said: “An unqualified apology from Rev. Y.” I said: “Let me see what I can do. I’ll get back to you today.” I called Rev. Y. I said: “What’s the story?” He said: “The man is an alcoholic. He beat his wife, and she sought refuge at the Church. I took her in, temporarily. Then she filed for divorce.” Rev. Y. contacted the man, and apologised unreservedly for any distress he might have caused him. The man accepted, and the vendetta ended. OBSERVATION: (But read the apology carefully). Unfortunately, Rev. Y. didn’t have the heart to go on in ministry. He quit.

No comments: