Thursday, September 3, 2015

Record Slope

I received a very interesting comment on my blog this morning, from someone who modestly remains anonymous. My annual hobby of 2011 was to find the steepest street (the steepest sustained slope) in Cape Town. The steepest I found was upper Longmarket Street (pictured), at 17°. Anonymous claims "about" 70 metres' rise over 200 metres for Capri Street in St. James. That is (would be), if my calculations are correct and if the information is correct, 19.5° and a new world record. The current world record is held by Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand, which has a 70 metre sustained slope of 19°. A new world record is not (yet) confirmed for Capri Street, but this deserves to be explored. Photos of vertical walls and the street level would help. And if it is confirmed, we hope to know the discoverer!

No comments: