Thursday, October 8, 2015

African Christian Leadership

My final assignment for Fuller Theological Seminary in 2011 was a simple paper: What is African Christian Leadership? At least, I thought it was simple. I would look in the literature. But I was surprised to find that, while there were many thousands of books on Christian leadership in the world, I could find not one that originated in Africa. It seems that the reason for this is that, in Africa, the Christian leader is not the focus of Christian leadership. Christian leadership focuses on other things instead. So I had to change course with my final assignment. I chose instead to study every African Christian leadership curriculum that I could hunt down. I found a dozen in all, from Cameroon, Kenya, South Africa, Togo, and Uganda. The aggregate emphasis of these curricula is shown in a diagram taken from my final paper (click on it to enlarge). It will be seen that the typical Western emphases come last in Africa.

No comments: