Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Speedy Sermon Writing

In 2009, I supervised a Canadian intern. In spite of this, Peter Nighswander has made something of himself, recently graduating with a Master's degree and welcoming a son. I was reminded of that which follows while putting up some sermons on my blog: I asked Peter once to write the first draft of a sermon with his mind disengaged so to speak (then, after that, one re-works the structure and content). On our first attempt, he wrote 4 864 words in two hours, or more than forty words per minute. OBSERVATION: That's impressive. A secretary's output, on graduating from secretarial college, is typically 35 words per minute, and that is not intelligent output. It's a technique that I have used myself for sermon writing. It needs to be preceded by much reading and prayerful contemplation.

No comments: