Thursday, November 26, 2015

Unpaid Pension

I have been exercised a great deal, since the close of my Atlantic ministry, for a number of reasons. This and my next post (above) survey two of the reasons why. We have, therefore, two more serious posts today ...
.
I began my ministry at Sea Point Evangelical Congregational Church with (among other things) a pension in my contract. But the Church defaulted on the pension. When I arrived, they could not afford it. However, there came the day when we had grown in strength, and they could afford it. The pension kicked in, and the Church pledged to pay me back 8+ years of pension which were lost. Then, when we parted ways in 2013, we made a note in two memorandums, that the pension was still owed. And in 2014, our old Church treasurer confirmed: "You will be reimbursed." But today, 2½ years after parting, the Church has not paid me the 8+ years of pension (among other things). I sought the advice of a respected city attorney. He recommended in writing: Due to the large sums involved, this needed to go to the High Court. His quote: R300 000. But this did not seem to me to be practical. He further sent a letter to the Church: I had "valid concerns, after a long and faithful ministry", and the Church should "conclude matters". The Church (or its officers) did not reply. OBSERVATION: The amounts are such that they could be the difference between a modest retirement and hardship.

No comments: