Thursday, February 11, 2016

Noakes And Me

I am following Tim Noakes' hearing with special interest. He is a popular doctor, charged by the Health Professions Council for (it is said) an error of judgement. But his attorneys claim that the Preliminary Committee violated his rights and defied the Constitution -- very strong words. I myself have been dealing with the same Preliminary Committee through David Kokong, although not from a doctor's point of view. My attorneys have essentially come to the same verdict on the same points as Noakes' attorneys, but independently. With the difference that Noakes has fire-power -- and this I find disturbing, and continually disturbing, in a society as unequal as ours. What happens to "the people" if they should experience the same? If Noakes should win his case, it has obvious relevance to me. But even without that, the Preliminary Committee is in a very problematic space.

No comments: