Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Uncommon Furlough

This post is about furlough -- also called sabbatical -- or long leave for ministers. In Congregational Churches throughout Southern Africa, furlough is three months every five years, in addition to annual leave. The trouble is, many ministers feel very reluctant to take that leave when it comes. I myself was reluctant, and at one stage accumulated a lot of furlough. I came to a happy arrangement with my Church then (it was comfortable to all), to break up my furlough in future, so that I would take a part of it every year. My annual leave then fell in summer, and my furlough came around every winter. OBSERVATION: Personally, I have long held that a minister should get as much leave as he or she needs, and that the same should apply to all Church staff. One often found this in the past.

No comments: