Sunday, June 5, 2016

Double Funeral

I recently conducted a funeral for two parishioners in the Karoo semi-desert (pictured). Even into their nineties, they were two people who were ever thankful towards God -- and that, I think, made them  extraordinary. Age did not weary them, nor the years condemn. And as minister, they always welcomed me with joy, whether they were expecting me or not. They died one after the other, one day after the other. It is unlikely that this was by chance -- rather what is known as "dying of a broken heart", or the "widowhood effect". Standing above the two coffins, I said to the congregation that it was God's good favour. We could not have wished for greater blessing in their end. OBSERVATION: The woman with the dark glasses is a woman undertaker -- the first I have met. The man with the checked shirt is the Chairman of the Board, and my primary point of contact with the Church. Clicking on the photo enlarges to 270k.

No comments: