Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A Simple Submission (Not)

A police chief, Colonel Lento, wrote to me inviting me to make a submission to the police. I went to the police's front desk, and had the papers witnessed there, then said, this is for Colonel Lento. They said no. I said, Colonel Lento requested this. No, no, they said. A woman officer stepped back from the desk and stretched out her hands. I'll leave the story there -- it was more difficult than this. I placed my submission on the desk, and said, take it. Then I copied it electronically to the Colonel. But there was no receipt. Finally, the police refused my submission (in terms of the law) through refusing to handle it. I therefore lodged an appeal. But I could not possibly obtain a receipt for my appeal -- and I was not about to try the front desk again. This morning I asked South Africa's favourite courier company to deliver my submission for me. When they saw the address, they quoted me a massive 170% surcharge. I asked what for. They said it was that difficult to deliver documents to police and other government departments. OBSERVATION: I have asked the police for a refund. Well of course, because they should. Citizens should be able to make stock standard submissions (as this was) without all this. It was a request for information. The police's Code of Ethics is here (click on the link).

No comments: