Monday, July 25, 2016

Controlling Pain

A few years ago I had a spinal anaesthetic, for an operation to my foot. It was interesting that I could wiggle my toes, and feel people's fingers touching the foot -- but I didn't feel the surgeon's knife -- or the removal of any bone, which is what it was all about. The anaesthetist -- a burly, friendly man -- proudly claimed that this was the mark of a first class anaesthetist. He explained that there are various kinds of nerves, and the anaesthetic had specifically blocked those which feel pain. OBSERVATION: Pain control is said to be one of the triumphs of modern medicine. Sometimes there is a problem, however, in applying the knowledge and skills in Africa. In ministry I see -- or I hear of -- terrible pain sometimes, which could be effectively controlled. Most recently this month, a (Black) niece of mine was crying in pain, day after day, with less than efficient help from the hospital.

No comments: