Monday, November 21, 2016

Trump's Triumph, Philosophically

People ask me what I think about Trump. I'll confine myself here to a philosophical point of view. Imagine traditional philosophy as two layers of cake with a sheet of icing between them. The two layers are: thought and reality -- and thought influences the way one approaches reality. In the USA, just over a century ago, philosophers took that sheet of icing out of the middle, so to speak, and merged the two layers into one. This now goes by the name of "pragmatism" -- which  teaches action, not contemplation. Thought and reality are now rolled into one. European philosophy is different -- contemplation is more of a priority there. For this reason, I think, a Trump might not have triumphed in Europe. So, as more contemplative people have been outvoted in the USA, Trump's triumph may be American "pragmatism" coming home to roost. OBSERVATION: I put it too simply, but hopefully it is understood.

No comments: